Spectral Solar Radiation Data Base Documentation, Vol. II
Table of Contents
This volume can be used as a catalog for the information contained in the data base.
Each page of graphs represents the data measured on one day of the year, from October 1986
through April 1988, at one of three locations: the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC),
Cape Canaveral, Fla.; the Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG 5cE), San Ramon, Calif.;
and the Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), Golden, Colo.
The following information is contained on each page:
- Field notes. The first line of the field notes begins with an "N" followed by the site,
year, and day number. The second line contains a log sheet number (FSEC only), day number,
date, serial number of the LI-COR spectroradiometer(s), and measurement mode(s). The measurement
modes are direct normal DN (irradiance from the solar disk in about a 5-deg field of view),
global normal GN (flat plate tracking the sun), global horizontal GH (flat plate on a horizontal
surface), global tilt GT (flat plate tilted at or near the latitude angle), and diffuse
horizontal DF. Next are operator observations, such as weather or instrument operations,
observations about the data, and notes on the existence of all-sky pictures. (The pictures
are labeled as good G, marginal M, or poor P.)
- Broadband solar radiation graph. The broadband solar radiation values (in watts
per square meter) recorded by Eppley Precision Spectral Pyranometers and a Normal Incidence
Pyrheliometer, before the spectral data were acquired, are plotted versus standard time.
The site and day number are printed at the top of the graph. The four measurement modes
(if available) include global normal GN, direct normal DN, global tilt GT, and global
- Spectral solar radiation graph(s). The spectral solar radiation data acquired on
this day are graphed for each measurement mode. The titles of the graphs include site,
day number, and measurement mode (including a symbol for the spectroradiometer foreoptics).
The measurement modes are:
- DNT Direct normal measured with a view-limiting tube receiver
- GNS Global normal measured with an integrating sphere receiver
- GND Global normal measured with a Teflon dome receiver
- GHS Global horizontal measured with an integrating sphere
- GHD Global horizontal measured with a Teflon dome (for comparison with GHS only;
GHS data should be used)
- DFS Diffuse horizontal measured with an integrating sphere
- DFD Diffuse horizontal measured with a Teflon dome (for comparison with DFS data
only; DFS data should be used).
Spectral irradiance (in watts per square meter per nanometer) is graphed versus wavelength
in nanometers. The legends to the right of the spectral graphs give the standard time and
air mass when the spectra were acquired. PG&E and SERI operated one spectroradiometer,
rotating through measurement modes. FSEC generally operated two spectroradiometers simultaneously,
with one in the direct-normal mode and the other inone of the global modes.
3.0 Daily Notes and Graphs
Table of Contents
Return to RReDC Homepage
( http://www.nrel.gov/rredc )