Popular Solar Resource Publications
The following publications provide useful information about solar resource tools and data.
Some of the following documents are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs.
Download Adobe Reader.
- Calibration of a Solar Absolute Cavity Radiometer with Traceability
to the World Radiometric Reference
(PDF 8.6 MB)
Describes a method to establish traceability of absolute cavity radiometers.
- Quality Assessment with QC_TND
Provides a quality-control method for global or total, direct, and diffuse solar radiation data.
- Quality Assessment with SERI_QC
Provides a quality-control method for global horizontal, diffuse horizontal, and direct normal solar radiation data.
- A Quasi-Physical Model for Converting Hourly Global Horizontal to Direct Normal Insolation
(PDF 13.4 MB)
Describes a physically based model for converting global horizontal insolation data to direct normal insolation data.
- Shining On
Provides a primer on solar radiation and solar radiation data.
- Simple Solar Spectral Model for Direct and Diffuse Irradiance
on Horizontal and Tilted Planes at the Earth's Surface for Cloudless Atmospheres
Describes a simple model for direct and diffuse spectral irradiance on horizontal and tilted surfaces at the earth's
surface for clear days.
- Simplified Clear Sky Model for Direct and Diffuse Insolation on Horizontal Surfaces
(PDF 7.3 MB)
Compares several broadband insolation models and presents a simple clear sky model for direct and diffuse insolation.
- Solar Radiation Data Manual for Buildings
Provides solar radiation and illuminance values for a horizontal window and four vertical windows (facing north, east,
south, and west) for 239 stations in the United States and its territories.
- Solar Radiation Data Manual for Flat-Plate and
Provides solar radiation values for common flat-plate and concentrating collectors for 239 stations in the United States
and its territories.
- 2008 Solar Resource
Presentations from the October 29-30 workshop in Denver on the current state-of-the-art in resource modeling to
Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) developers and other stakeholders.
- Standard Broadband Format Manual
Describes a tape archival format appropriate for use with research-level solar radiation data.
- User's Manual for TMY2s
Describes typical meteorological year (TMY) data sets derived from the
1961–1990 National Solar Radiation Data Base.
- WEST Associates Online Manual
Provides solar data for 52 stations in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Wyoming for 1976–1980.
Return to RReDC Homepage ( http://www.nrel.gov/rredc )